Pamela Neu offered an idea for the Build a Better Bowie campaign: a community garden. Her job as a social worker in this area has opened her eyes to the need for access to nutritionally rich foods that may otherwise be unavailable to low-income families and individuals.
She has spoken with the Bowie Mission about locating the garden next to their building; however, funds would need to be raised for the water, topsoil, seeds, etc.
There would be many benefits to a community garden in Bowie, including:
- Fostering the development of a community identity and spirit
- Providing opportunities to meet neighbors
- Producing nutritious foods
- Producing traditional crops otherwise unavailable locally
- Unique opportunities to teach youth about where food comes from, the importance of community and stewardship and bring them close to nature
- Providing a significant source of food
- Allowing families and individuals without land of their own the opportunity to produce food