It’s that time of year, y’all. The State Fair of Texas is back with all its fried food goodness, exciting experiences and exhibition of some of our state’s finest livestock.
In short, it’s my favorite time of the year.
Here’s five reasons why:
1. The Big Texas Choice Awards. Each year, the vendors from the State Fair come up with the wildest concoctions in order to win the Big Tex Choice Awards. This year’s winners were the Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger and the Gulf Coast Fish Bowl. It’s a true display of Texans’ culinary creativity.
2. Live music. Over the weekend, Wilson Phillips wowed crowds at the fair. But that’s not all. Tons of other great performers will be delighting fair goers this year.
3. Unmatched entertainment. Where else can you see a firework and laser light show, stampede, slam dunk show, extreme sports, pig races and a Wild West Pet show? There’s also a guy who takes a blank section of timber and makes art using a chainsaw.
4. Celebrating agriculture. The State Fair is one of the best places, I think, to truly celebrate not only being a Texan but also Texas agriculture. They have a ranch arena, children’s barnyard, discovery farm, milking parlor demonstrations, kiddie tractor pulls and informative events. Texas Farm Bureau also has our Planet Agriculture exhibit in the Go Texan Pavilion where you can sit in a simulator to see what it’s really like behind a combine during harvest. My youngest niece said it feels like she’s riding at work with her grandpa. That’s a ringing endorsement if you ask me.
5. There’s something for everyone. There’s the auto show. You can spend hours looking at every detail on all the new vehicles. There’s the food, which both young and old enjoy. The engaging educational exhibits and activities are sure to attract your attention. And you’re bound to meet someone new along the way.
The fair runs until Oct. 22 at Fair Park in Dallas.
Story provided by the Texas Farm Bureau Texas Tabletop