Pair of fatality accidents occur in Montague County

Oct. 10, 2019 fatality

A 41-year-old Alvord man was killed in a one-vehicle accident on State Highway 101 north of Sunset on Oct. 10.
The crash occurred at 10:30 a.m. Thursday. Department of Public Safety officials report Brian Earl Love was driving a 2002 Ford F-150 pickup north on Hwy. 101 and drove off the roadway to the right.
The driver overcorrected to the left which caused the pickup to skid sideways across the road and enter the south side ditch. The pickup rolled several times and ejected the driver. Love was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace David Allen.

Oct. 2, 2019 fatality

A 50-year-old Denton man died from injuries in a two vehicle crash between Nocona and Saint Jo on U.S. Highway 82 on Oct. 2.
The accident occurred at 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 2 on U.S. 82, one mile east of Dixie School Road. According to the Department of Public Safety, Steven Anderson had parked on the right shoulder of U.S. 82 facing west in his 2007 Ford SUV.
A second vehicle, a 2013 Hyundai car driven by Cheryl Johnson, Saint Jo, was westbound on U.S. 82 when she drove onto the improved shoulder and struck Anderson from behind. Johnson’s vehicle came to rest in the roadway, caught fire and completely burned, but the driver was able to exit the vehicle.
Anderson’s vehicle was pushed off the road where it rolled down the embankment coming to rest on the other side of the property line fence. Nocona firefighters arrived and Nocona EMS worked to remove Anderson from his vehicle and stabilize him. He was airlifted by helicopter and taken to a Denton Medical City with serious injuries. He was pronounced dead a short time later.
Saint Jo EMS arrived and transported Johnson to Nocona General with reportedly non-life threatening injuries. She was treated and released.
The Nocona News reported earlier in the day a sheriff’s deputy and Nocona EMS had been dispatched to make a welfare check on Anderson who was sitting in his vehicle.
Anderson reportedly told them his SUV had broken down and he was waiting on someone to help him haul it back to Denton. The News reports a Nocona volunteer firefighter recommended Anderson not wait inside the SUV for safety’s sake.