SPORTS
Workman handles demotion in stride
By ERIC VICCARO
bnewssports@sbcglobal.net
On Tuesday, the Boston Red Sox formally announced that former Bowie High School pitcher Brandon Workman would be sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket (R.I.).
Workman was sent down to make room on the Red Sox roster for pitcher Rubby De La Rosa, who was slated to pitch on Wednesday night.
Workman took the demotion in stride when speaking with reporters, including Jen McCaffrey with MassLive.com.
“Definitely, it’s not ideal,” Workman said. “It’s not what I was hoping to hear after the game, but it’s part of it. I just have to keep putting my work in, keep getting better and get ready to throw again.”
Workman’s next start could come while with Pawtucket, possibly this weekend in Toledo (Ohio).
One possible reason for Workman’s demotion is the looming All-Star break, which begins July 14 and runs through July 17. His next possible start in the major leagues wouldn’t have been for at least 10 days.
Red Sox manager John Farrell didn’t comment on the move, although the organization is still committed to him. Boston could become sellers at the trade deadline later this month, and that could open up more spots in the starting rotation as well.
Former Bowie High School and current Red Sox pitcher Brandon Workman. (Photo provided by Boston Red Sox media relations)
SPORTS
Bowie, Nocona compete in VB scrimmages
Nocona’s volleyball team headed to Bowie for a three-team scrimmage with the host team and Ponder Aug. 7.
Each team played the other two for 30 minutes in the Lady Rabbit gym. Lady Indian Coach Sandy Langford said she thought things went well for a first scrimmage.
“Just like any young team that is trying to find itself in a first scrimmage, We looked really good at times and at others not so much,” Langford said. “We’re forming a new team after losing a lot of seniors.”
Langford said the squad would have one thing go wrong and it would explode into several things. That will need to stop for a successful year in Langford’s mind.
For further details, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Bowie News.
SPORTS
Rabbit netters beat Graham
Bowie’s tennis team is now 3-3 for the non-district campaign with a 1-2 week.
In the Rabbits’ home opener Aug. 5 against Graham, Bowie posted a 13-6 match win with the girls completing a 9-0 sweep.
Jessi Mayfield and Angeles Alvarez won 9-8 (7-4) while Payton Goodwin and Maddie Schwarz were 8-1 winners as were Avery DeWeber and Avery Bonham.
In girl’s singles Willow Seibert won 8-2 in No.1 1 singles. Goodwin and Mayfield were each 8-5 winners. Alvarez posted an 8-1 win. Schwarz won 9-8 (8-5) with Deweber taking an 8-2 decision.
For further details, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Bowie News.
SPORTS
New Nocona gym nearing completion
Two major portions of Nocona’s 2023 bond issue are very close to being completed.
The new high school gym should be complete in time for the volleyball team to begin practice there Aug. 1, according to Superintendent Dr. David Waters. Ground on the 22,000 square foot facility was broken on Oct. 18, 2024.
Waters said a punch list meeting with the construction manager was scheduled for earlier this week with final touchups expected shortly afterwards. Fans should be able to enjoy the facility for the volleyball team’s season opener Aug. 11.
Fans will enjoy the new gym from entering the facility which has glass walls, enabling fans to watch the game from the foyer. Once inside the gym itself, there is stadium, chair back seating on the home side allowing for a much more comfortable experience.
For further details, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Bowie News.
-
NEWS3 years agoSuspect indicted, jailed in Tia Hutson murder
-
NEWS4 years ago2 hurt, 1 jailed after shooting incident north of Nocona
-
NEWS3 years agoSO investigating possible murder/suicide
-
NEWS4 years agoWreck takes the life of BHS teen, 16
-
NEWS3 years agoMurder unsolved – 1 year later Tia Hutson’s family angry, frustrated with no arrest
-
Show us something good9 years agoCountry music star children perform in Bowie
-
100th Birthday4 years agoLooking back at the 1958 Centennial edition of The Bowie News
-
NEWS3 years agoSheriff’s office called out to infant’s death







