SPORTS
Coaches react to new basketball rule
A month into basketball season and with district games about to start in the next two weeks, I am sure some fans have noticed something different about how games have been run.
The National Federation of State High School Associations Basketball Rules Committee put into effect this school year a rule that deals with free throw shooting.
The old rule was after a team committed its fifth foul in a half of play, a team would be in the bonus and go to the free throw line for any foul even if it was a non-shooting foul.
The free throw attempt was called a one-and-one which meant if the player made the first attempt they would get a chance to make a second one. If they missed the first attempt they would not get a second attempt.
Only if the opposing team got to 10 fouls or more in a half of play would teams then be in the double-bonus and then get two free throw attempts on any foul instead of the one-and-one attempts.
The new rule this year eliminates the one-and-one attempts from the game all together. To go along with that, the bonus starts after a team has committed five fouls. However, the fouls reset every quarter instead of every half.
“The rules committee studied data that showed higher injury rates on rebounding situations and saw this as an opportunity to reduce opportunities for rough play during rebounds,” said Lindsey Atkinson, NFHS director of sports and liaison to the basketball rules committee. “Additionally, resetting the fouls each quarter will improve game flow and allow teams to adjust their play by not carrying foul totals to quarters two and four.”
The new rules have taken some getting used to for officials, scorekeepers and coaches meaning some free throw attempts have been missed in some early season games when no one realized it.
“When the refs and scorekeepers figure it out it will be okay I guess,” Gold-Burg girl’s Coach Cheryl Cromleigh said.
While the rule change seems like it is might have big sweeping effects on games this season, fans might still be unaware of much different unless they are really paying attention.
Area coaches have some varying opinions on the new rules.
To read the full story that includes local coaches reactions, pick up a copy of the weekend edition of the Bowie News.
SPORTS
Saint Jo volleyball opens with victory
In its first match since last year’s state semifinal appearance, Saint Jo hosted Bryson Aug. 11 and took a 25-13, 25-12, 25-21 win over the Cowgirls.
The Lady Panthers lost some talent to graduation but have five seniors ready to have a successful season. Savannah Hil, one of the five, got Saint Jo rolling offensively with a four-point serving string, including a pair of aces. Abby Carter’s kill and Kamron Skidmore’s block helped put the Lady Panthers up 5-2 in game one.
Hadleigh Moore added a four-point string of her own to extend the lead to 10-3. Tatum Morman’s pair, helped by a Hill kill, gave Saint Jo a 14-5 lead. Bryson got within five before a Hill 3-pointer, with help by a Carter kill, put the lead back at 18-10.
After an Olivia Johnson kill broke serve, Jordyn O’Neal served up the final five points, with Johnson providing a kill to move things along.
For further details, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Bowie News.
SPORTS
Lady Indian VB falls in semis at Brock Tourney
Despite being the smallest school in the Brock varsity classic volleyball tournament, the Lady Indians finished 4th out of the eight teams there.
After losing to the host team in its first pool play match Aug. 14 18-25, 14-25 and also to Class 3A Wall 12-25, 8-25, Nocona rebounded to close out pool play with a 20-25, 25-23, 25-20 win over Christoval. Sy Parker had 16 kills and 7 blocks in the three matches. Raylea Bowles had 12 kills, 17 digs and served up three aces. Maddyn Bowles had seven kills and 14 digs while Paige Davis had seven kills and 15 digs. Baylee Thomas added 11 digs.
From the setter spot, Kasi Castro had 20 assists, served up five aces and contributed 14 digs. Leah Meekins added 18 assists and six digs during the three matches.
To open Saturday’s bracket play, the Lady Indians posted a 25-18, 18-25, 26-24, 25-19 win over Fort Worth Christian. Castro staked Nocona to a 2-0 lead in game one. Kills by Parker set up pairs of points from Raylea Bowles and Leah Meekins helped Nocona negate an early deficit and take a 10-9 lead.
For further details, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Bowie News.
SPORTS
Area teams hit gridiron for scrimmages
County football teams had their first scrimmage of the season Aug. 14 with mixed results.
Forestburg hosted Azle Christian and Victory Christian. Under a new system with new head coach Cori Hayes, the Longhorns looked pretty good in the coach’s eye.
“The first team looked good,” Hayes explained. “Overall we need to work on our pace and blocking assignments and blocking assignments. Overall we looked good for the new regime.”
Forestburg hits the road to scrimmage Newcastle Aug. 21.
For further details, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Bowie News.
-
NEWS3 years agoSuspect indicted, jailed in Tia Hutson murder
-
NEWS4 years ago2 hurt, 1 jailed after shooting incident north of Nocona
-
NEWS3 years agoSO investigating possible murder/suicide
-
NEWS4 years agoWreck takes the life of BHS teen, 16
-
NEWS3 years agoMurder unsolved – 1 year later Tia Hutson’s family angry, frustrated with no arrest
-
Show us something good9 years agoCountry music star children perform in Bowie
-
100th Birthday4 years agoLooking back at the 1958 Centennial edition of The Bowie News
-
NEWS3 years agoSheriff’s office called out to infant’s death







